ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 100+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient, and circular development. Our Members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships, and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
To support the Sustainable Mobility team, we are offering the following position:
Junior Officer, Sustainable Mobility
The successful candidate will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany, and will be placed within the Sustainable Mobility team. The Junior Officer complements the Sustainable Mobility team in supporting local and regional governments internationally in implementing innovative sustainable urban mobility solutions within the contexts of passenger and freight movements.
Support the EcoLogistics Community Project (70%)
• Support project implementation of the EcoLogistics Community project to achieve project goals, including contribution to the development of technical tools, knowledge products (case studies, reports), and other defined research, organizational, and communication tasks
• General assistance in communications tasks within the funded project, including website updates, regular communication duties and contributions to newsletters, and reporting,
• Support in organizing events (meetings, conferences, workshops, partner meetings, study tours, etc.) in the framework of the EcoLogistics Community
• Communicate with city representatives, partners, and consultants, as defined by line managers
• Support team members to conceptualize, develop the thematic areas of EcoLogistics
• Carry-out defined tasks effectively to ensure timely delivery of products
• Work with different teams within ICLEI and ICLEI Regional Offices to achieve the project deliverables and foster meaningful collaborations
General support to the Sustainable Mobility team (30%)
• Support the sustainable mobility’s communications and events activities including website updates, creation of the bimonthly newsletters, draft blogposts, organization of webinars
• Support the Sustainable Mobility teams in its efforts to assist local and regional governments, particularly ICLEI Members, in the transition towards integrated, socially inclusive, and sustainable urban mobility for people and freight
• Assist in project bidding under the close supervision of the line manager or an assigned staff
• Upon need, supporting other tasks in the team or extended World Secretariat team.
• University degree in a relevant field, such as transport planning/ management/ policies; logistics and supply chain management; urban planning/ design; environmental science/ policies; civil engineering or comparable
• One year of relevant work experience, working with sustainable mobility, freight and supply chain issues, ideally with an understanding of the role of local and regional governments in mobility planning
• Knowledge of current policies, planning concepts, and trends in sustainable mobility and logistics in cities
• Strong writing and presentation skills with excellent command of written and spoken English. Proficiency in other languages especially Mandarin and/or German is an asset.
• Excellent command of Microsoft Office applications, particularly MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Experience in website content management (WordPress) and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn)
• Experience in Adobe suites (Illustrator and InDesign);
• Project management skills, including organization of workshops, training, conferences
• Good time management, proactive and highly organized working style, team player
• Confidence in communicating with partners and city officials from different background and cultures
Terms and conditions:
· The position will be available as of 01 January 2021 and it is planned until 31 December 2021
· The position is supervised by a Senior Officer, Sustainable Mobility
· Probation period is of three months
· The employment contract will be based on German law.
· Salary: 29725 – 32822 EUR (full time) before tax and social insurance fees, with the final salary to be determined based on the chosen applicant’s years of relevant experience
· Working hours: 40 per week (full time)
· Paid leave: 30 days per year (full time)
· Working language: English
· Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
By email to careers(dot) bonn (at) iclei (dot) org. Please include “Junior Officer, Sustainable Mobility” in the subject line and send us:
· letter of motivation, recent CV, employment certificates, all these merged into one single pdf. of up to 5 MB size
· indication of citizenship; if non-EU, whether the applicant is a holder of a work permit for Germany
· indication of the possible start date
Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI World Secretariat’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organization hires employees without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, marital status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their relevant qualifications and competencies.
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.
In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates might be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview. Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
Application Deadline: 15 November 2020
ICLEI e.V. World Secretariat