BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Over the past several years BSR has built up a portfolio of programs aimed at transforming global transport and green freight. These include Clean Cargo , the Sustainable Air Freight Alliance , and Future of Fuels . As we begin the decisive decade , BSR is working with our members to scale our impact.
The Director, Transportation and Green Freight, will lead a world-class Transport and Green Freight practice. The Director will help companies to design and implement ambitious sustainability strategies, work across value-chains and transport modes to enable deep decarbonization. This includes thought leadership and research, collaborative initiatives, and consulting to support member companies.
The Director will have final accountability for refining/managing an overall Transport practice strategy and plan, driving business development, and overseeing many initiatives and corresponding project teams to catalyze action on Transport and Green Freight, to advance BSR’s mission to build a just and sustainable world, to create value for BSR members and other partners, and to reach yearly objectives including financial objectives.
The Director will report to BSR’s Vice President, Infrastructure and Finance and collaborate with BSR’s Managing Director, Climate, and other industry and practice leads. The position is full-time, based in Paris or Copenhagen.
The Director will have four main areas of responsibility.
Strategic Leadership: The Director will need to think across sectors, silos and initiatives, to define an ambitious and cohesive strategy for BSR’s Transport practice, and refine the strategy and prioritization of initiatives and activities on an annual basis.
Business Development: The Director will lead BSR’s efforts to secure support for Transport and Green Freight projects, building on a base of support already secured for this work. This will involve business development with BSR’s over 265 member companies, as well as private foundations, public sector funders, and others. The Director will identify, research, and build long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships to advance BSR’s mission. The successful candidate will partner effectively with BSR colleagues leading areas of expertise including climate change, as well as those driving key industry relationships. The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities, while continuing to innovate and evolve our approach.
Project Implementation: The Director will shape BSR’s delivery of grants, collaborative initiatives and consulting services on climate change. The Director will typically oversee 8-10 initiatives & projects at any one time, working actively with project teams and providing direction to project managers. The Director will also directly participate in select projects.
Thought Leadership and External Representation: The Director will represent both BSR and our Transport and Green Freight work to external audiences by presenting at industry conferences, writing publications, building synergistic partnerships, developing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders, and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR’s work.
Internal Management: The Director will represent the Transport practice in internal management meetings, strategy discussions and budget planning.
Successful candidates at BSR are highly collaborative, entrepreneurial, and committed to the BSR mission. BSR will consider candidates with the following qualifications.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in business, engineering, law, public policy, or other relevant discipline required.
- Demonstrated expertise on how companies advance sustainability action through Transport and Green Freight.
- Significant consulting or project management experience in the private sector or other relevant institutions (at least 10 years) required, demonstrating a strong understanding of the issues, ability to develop and maintain business relationships, generate business opportunities, manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, and deliver for clients and funders.
- Proven track record in developing financial support from business, private foundations, or public-sector funders to enable project implementation.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members across geographies and cultures.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to undertake required business travel (~ 30% time).
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
BSR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a global organization, BSR strives to represent a culmination of different perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and ideas. BSR encourages employees to be themselves and share their unique stories, as these initiatives foster a global environment of creativity, forward thinking, and open-mindedness. These values drive the innovative work of our staff and support BSR’s overarching mission to build a just and sustainable world.
At BSR, discrimination because of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by regional laws, is not condoned. BSR strives to maintain a fair and inclusive working environment. Thus, these factors do not influence recruitment, performance management processes, and project assignments. BSR aims to support necessary accommodations and has a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior and retaliation in response to the needs of our employees.